Results
So what did I learn?
I learned that students having missed a large chunk of the environmental biology unit in Grade 7, resulted in more time being spent reviewing Big Picture concepts regarding relationships between organisms within an ecosystem. While I had taught 8th grade the previous year with similar objectives, I only taught AA students so it's hard to know if this was due to the COVID-19 shutdown occurring during this unit or a difference between AA and non-AA students.
I learned that students are really fascinated by soda and I'm interested to see if there is a way to alter the experiment to use soda in place of alka seltzer - at least for filming a teacher instruction video as I'm sure this would get costly. I also found students retained a lot of information from their 7th Grade chemistry unit which leads me to believe the environmental impact issues were due to the shutdown but that is certainly something to investigate further in the next school year.
What did my students learn?
Overall, scores on the assessments were high. I used a combination of the provided C-E-R prompt along with review style questions addressed during the videos and investigation.
Comments
Post a Comment